Savor a piece of BlissWood Bed & Breakfast Ranch from home with one of our favorite recipes! Start by preheating the oven to 350º F, making your favorite pie crust, and sprinkling chopped pecans to cover the bottom of the crust.
For the Streusel Topping:
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse salt
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Combine the 1/3 cup granulated sugar, ¼ brown sugar, ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, ginger, and salt
- Add the butter.
- Use a food processor or your hands to combine.
- Stir in the pecans.
- Set aside.
- 3-4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced about ½-inch thick.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon pie thickener (Available from King Arthur)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon local Cat Spring honey
- Put the apples in the pie shell. Squeeze a small amount of lemon juice over the apples.
- Combine the dry ingredients in small bowl.
- Beat the egg in large bowl, add cream, vanilla and almond extracts, and honey and blend well. Add the sugar mixture to the egg mixture and stir to blend. Pour the custard mixture over the apples in pie shell. If mixture comes more than three-quarters of the way up the side of crust, stop pouring so it won’t overflow.
- Place the pie on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, as the pie can tend to bubble over the side a bit.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Carefully remove the pie from oven. Evenly and carefully distribute the streusel topping over the top of pie. Carefully return it to the oven and bake until the top is browned and a knife inserted in the pie ensures the apples are cooked through, about 40-50 minutes longer.
- Let the pie cool on a wire rack for at least 20 – 30 minutes, then serve it warm with whipped cream or Blue Bell Vanilla Bean ice cream!
Join the Family!
Looking for a taste of authentic Texas? Join our exclusive list and get special offers and content delivered straight to your inbox!